Unique and intimate, Gallery Black Lagoon is a Contemporary Art Gallery & Event Space with monthly art exhibitions that add a cool artistic element to any private event. In business since in 2010, we are located in the Central Austin Hyde Park Neighborhood just minutes from downtown.
With 1750 sq ft, Capacity is 150 people standing. The space also works well for a setup of 50 to 70 people at tables in the back room (pictures directly below) with room for a cocktail lounge and food area in the front room. Rentals INCLUDE 50 chairs, 5 benches, 15 tables, linens & more listed below.
Email Singer Mayberry (Owner & Event Coordinator) at
firstname.lastname@example.org - Emailing is best for quickest response!
or call 512-371-8838 for more info or to tour the space (tours by appointment only)
TOUR ONLINE (All of our lights are on dimmers, making it perfect for more mellow events or dancing) -
“With its unmistakable mural decorating the exterior of Hyde Park’s Eastern border, Gallery Black Lagoon has established itself as a hip new spot…Far from a stuffy fine arts gallery, the space doubles as a popular party spot…” - CultureMap.com
Our gallery is the perfect event space for a birthday or holiday party, rehearsal dinners, ceremonies, receptions, corporate meetings, community groups, birthdays, private parties, workshops & functions of all kinds!
Evening Dates Already Booked, or NOT AVAILABLE:
May 27, 28, 29, 30
June 3, 4, 6, 10, 11, 13, 14, 21, 28, 29
July 3, 4, 27, 28
August 1, 8, 17
September 7, 9
October 11, 17
Located in the Hyde Park Historic District, just north of downtown Austin. We have plenty of FREE PARKING available in our shared parking lot with The Parlor Pizza Restaurant next door, as well as 70 parking spots below the office building directly behind the gallery available on weekends and after 5pm Monday-Friday, free parking on Guadalupe Street, and neighborhood parking.
With 1750 sq ft of usable space, capacity for the gallery is 150 people standing.
The space also works well for a setup of 50 to 70 people at tables in the back room with room for a cocktail lounge and food in the from room. With all tables and chairs setup, max capacity is 100 people.
SAVE BIG : Choose your own food provider and bring in your own beverages!
We highly recommend these food caterers:
*You are free to provide your own alcohol to be served by a Gallery Black Lagoon TABC certified bartender or your own.
CLICK FLOOR-PLAN TO ENLARGE:
2013 Rental Pricing:
(includes 50 chairs, 5 benches, 15 tables, linens & more listed below)
Friday & Saturday: $800 for 5 Hour Rental
Sunday & Thursday: $700 for 5 Hour Rental
Monday – Wednesday: $600 for 5 Hour Rental
Add on additional hours: $100 per extra hour
- No Discounts on Holiday Dates – $1000 for a 5 hour rental (5 hour minimum), $150 for each extra hour.
- Returning customers get a 10% discount on all rentals
*5 hour rental pricing includes cleaning fee: sweeping, mopping, breaking down tables & chairs, and taking out garbage. We also provide trash cans & trash bags for during event.
- -A $100 refundable security deposit (returned after event) is also needed for room rentals.
- (15) 6ft Long Banquet Tables (if wanted)
- 50 Chairs (if wanted) – additional chairs can be provided at $3.00 per chair
- 5 Wooden Benches (5ft long - image to right)
- 15 Black Table Cloths (if wanted)
- STEREO/Sound System for background music. It is to be used for background music from and ipod, cd player, computer, digital film projector. DJs must bring in their own PA/Sound System
- 6 ft Projector Screen (by request*)
- Coat Rack
- Garbage Receptacles & Liners
- Bathroom Supplies for during event
- Gallery Assistant on Duty (during setup and to lock up)
- Free Wireless Internet
Additional services can be provided:
- Tall Cocktail Tables - 4 for $100
- Extra Chairs: $3 per chair
- $100 – Digital Projector (2600 Lumens)
- $200 – PA Sound System
We do not allow any underage drinking. Clients may bring in alcoholic beverages to be served to attendees that will be complimentary, at no cost to guests. You are free to provide your own alcohol to be served by a Gallery Black Lagoon TABC certified bartender or your own. The gallery will provide a BARTENDER to serve your complimentary drinks & setup/breakdown bar for $25 an hour (30 min. for setup & 30 min. breakdown). With our bartending services the gallery will provide: a High Bar Table & Linen, 1 Storage Cooler, 1 Serving Ice Bin, Shakers, Strainers, Jiggers, Bottle Openers, Wine Keys, Pour Spouts, Cutting Board, Knife, Ice Scoops. Rental party must provide and bring in disposable cups, ice, straws, napkins, beverages & mixers.
*ANY SALE of liquor, beer, or wine must be covered by OUR Catering Permit & Company (this does not apply to food). Please inquire for additional info. We allow absolutely no underage drinking. No unauthorized liquor can be brought onto the grounds and no opened containers are to leave the grounds.
ARTWORK & DECORATIONS: The gallery would not able to take down the artwork from our current exhibition that will be on the walls during your scheduled event, unless there was something that was offensive to you or your party. Any hanging decorations or banner placement would need to be approved. OUTSIDE DECORATIONS are NOT permitted (no exceptions can be made).
If you would like to rent the space for your own ART EXHIBITION, view pricing and details below. One night or longer Art Exhibitions usually need to be booked at least 3 months in advance to coordinate with our own scheduled Exhibitions.
Additional services can be provided:
- Extra Chairs: $3 per chair
- $100 – Digital Projector (2600 Lumens)
- $200 – PA Sound System
We welcome clients to bring in their own tables, chairs, table cloths, decorations, flower arrangements, food catering and other items if they would like. We do not require clients to obtain these items through us. Here are a few helpful websites for buying or renting items for your event: www.mypapershop.com – www.marqueerents.com - www.rocknrollrentals.com – www.oldenlighting.com – www.linentablecloth.com
DEPOSITS/CREDIT CARDS AND TERMS OF PAYMENT: Along with a signed contract, all events at Gallery Black Lagoon must be guaranteed with a major credit card. Gallery Black Lagoon requires a 50% deposit (down-payment) of total estimated charges at the time of room confirmation. This deposit may be in the form of a check or credit card. The full balance is to be paid within 30 days before the event*
A $100 refundable security deposit is also due and payable no later than thirty days prior to the event. It is agreed that any additional charges incurred during the function will be deducted from this deposit prior to refund to the contracting party.The security deposit will not be returned if additional hours are needed for event time, including setup and breakdown (hourly fee for extra hours), if rental space is not left in a broom swept condition, or if there are any damages to the property or artwork inside or outside of the building. All garbage, personal belongings, decorations and equipment must be removed from the property during the scheduled event time/breakdown time in order to be refunded. The security deposit will be mailed in the form of a check to the contracting clients within 2 weeks after the contracted event has taken place. If damages or fees exceed the $100 security deposit, the contracting party will be held liable. Gallery Black Lagoon will have the right to request additional money to cover cleaning fees, repairs, and damaged or stolen items or artwork.
- We do allow clients to bring in their own beverages (including alcoholic drinks) and OUTSIDE FOOD CATERING at no extra charge . Any Food or Drink must be approved – We will want to know if your food will be from a caterer or restaurant, or if it will be homemade. The only circumstances where we might not approve of food is if someone’s caterer wanted to grill food inside of the gallery, or any food that would be very messy and possibly ruin artwork on the walls or the walls themselves, or leave a bad smell in the space.
- If food items will be for sale at an event, the client’s caterer will be required to provide Gallery Black Lagoon with a valid proof of Insurance and a Catering Permit.
- DO YOU NEED A TEMPORARY FOOD EVENT PERMIT? City of Austin Link: http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/health/downloads/CH-08_Do_You_Need_a_Temporary_Food_Event_Permit%20_2_.pdf
Additional regulations & Details:
- There is no kitchen or cleaning station at this facility.
- All dishes, utensils, & glassware must be cleaned OFF-SIGHT. Contracting Party or Caterers are PROHIBITED from cleaning dishes outside on the gallery’s patio, grass, or any area.
- The facility’s hand sinks are to be used only for hand washing or to acquire drinking/tap water.
- Our facility does not have a grease trap, therefore according to health code regulations; food may not be cooked on the premise.
- Additionally, our old plumbing, and lack of a grease trap make our sinks un-suitable for cleaning dishes. Thanks for your understanding!
- Using disposable cups, dishes and utensils, is strongly suggested
Here is a HELPFUL LINK from TABC, on how to legally serve beer and liquor at a special event:
“Can an establishment give away free alcoholic beverages to customers without having a permit?
It is legal to provide free alcoholic beverages without a permit. However, to be truly “free” it must be available to any adult who walks in the door and requests it. If it is only available to paying customers, the assumption is that the cost of the alcohol is included in the price of the service. In this case, the retailer would be “selling” the wine, and a permit would be required. When the establishment provides the alcoholic beverage, there cannot be any expectation of receiving money. The establishment cannot ask for a “donation” or “tip.” If the alcoholic beverage will only be available to paying guests, then the establishment will need a permit.”http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/general.asp
(view more photos of the gallery on our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=19565&id=129876700373441&saved#!/album.php?aid=19565&id=129876700373441)
Or on Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/galleryblacklagoon/show/
CALLING ALL ARTISTS & DESIGNERS!
Want to rent the gallery for a 1-4 weekend
Also Accepting Proposals for shows on a COMMISSION + Artist Fee Basis*
FOR ART EXHIBTIS: 8 ft ceilings. Total usable wall space = 115ft
Installation: minimum 2 ft at the bottom and 2ft at the top of the wall to be bare.
Each artist must be spaced out by at least 6inches.
Piece count limited to 3 rows
Each piece to be spaced out by at least 4 inches for each artist’s area (flexible depending on size of artwork)
Non-Commission Option (100% of sales to the Artist or Curator*) :
1 Night/Day Show (1.5 days, 115 ft wall space) - $1450 (Price includes a gallery assistant to help install show & be present at Opening Reception). This time allows for 6 hours installation time on a Thursday or Friday, 4 hours for Reception on Friday Night, and 2 hours for breakdown on Saturday morning. $50 per extra hour*
1 Weekend (4 days, 115 ft wall space) - $1750 (Price includes a gallery assistant to work gallery hours Saturdays 12pm-4pm, help to install show, & be present at Opening Reception). Besides Gallery Hours, this time allows for 8 hours installation time on a Thursday or Friday, 4 hours for Reception on Friday Night, and 4 hours for breakdown on the last Sunday of exhibit after gallery hours. $50 per extra hour*
2 Weekends (10 days, 115 ft wall space) - $2150.00 (Price includes a gallery assistant to work gallery hours Saturdays 12pm-4pm, help to install show, & be present at Opening Reception). Besides Gallery Hours, this time allows for 8 hours installation time on a Thursday or Friday, 4 hours for Reception on Friday Night, and 4 hours for breakdown on the last Sunday of exhibit after gallery hours. $50 per extra hour*
3 Weekends (17 days, 115 ft wall space) – $2550.00(Price includes a gallery assistant to work gallery hours Saturdays 12pm-4pm, help to install show, & be present at Opening Reception). Besides Gallery Hours, this time allows for 8 hours installation time on a Thursday or Friday, 4 hours for Reception on Friday Night, and 4 hours for breakdown on the last Sunday of exhibit after gallery hours. $50 per extra hour*
4 Weekends (24 days, 115 ft wall space) – $2850.00(Price includes a gallery assistant to work gallery hours Saturdays 12pm-4pm, help to install show, & be present at Opening Reception). Besides Gallery Hours, this time allows for 8 hours installation time on a Thursday or Friday, 4 hours for Reception on Friday Night, and 4 hours for breakdown on the last Sunday of exhibit after gallery hours. $50 per extra hour*
(There is no extra fee to bring in free alcoholic beverages or food during the Opening Reception – as long as they are not for sale)
*Artists or Curators renting our space are solely responsible for the promotion and advertising of their exhibit. If provided with online promotional materials by the curator, Gallery Black Lagoon will post information on the website, social media websites, and send out a press release to our email list.
* 100% of sales go to the artist/curator if gallery is not responsible for facilitating sales (there is a 6% fee for credit card purchases through the gallery’s credit card machine, and sales tax has to be added).
* If artist/curator wants the gallery to FACILITATE ALL SALES, a 15% Commission would go to the gallery on any works sold (With this percentage we cover our credit card service charges and monthly fees, we handle artwork pickup with buyers, and handle paying artists at the end of the exhibit for their works sold).